[pianotech] Puzzler 10/26/09

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 28 07:55:51 MDT 2009

Ok, John, I'll take a stab (nobody else I can see has a reply).
The rubber grommets that connect the end of the key to the sticker wire are hard from age.  Somebody noticed that there was too much lost motion and used that square tool to take up the slack.  The grommet hardened with the keystick/wire at a certain angle, so that when the grommet is turned for adjustment the grommet is putting pressure on the keystick causing it to bind on the keypins.  If you remove the sticker wire, the key is free to move.  Connect it, and you'll get binding on the keypins.
    If there are no rubber grommets, similar situation with the sticker wire- somehow it is binding on the key and not allowing it to move freely, though when it's disconnected the key moves freely.
    Am I close?
    Paul McCloud
    Sa nDiego