[pianotech] Don't work for this manufacturer

Dave Davis dave at davispiano.com
Tue Oct 27 10:04:17 MDT 2009

David,

Good for you, I didn't think you would go down without kicking a little more. :-)

You wrote - Two things: 1) What, according to 'good business practices' should Wim have done, assuming his portrayal of events was accurate? and  2) you left out a major player in your piano-community-building list: the customer.  We can refine our interpersonal skills from now until then, but if the poor economic climate is seen to justify less than honorable practices within the dealer-manufacturing wing (I know, it would never happen), how useful are those people skills?  I shouldn't have to add this disclaimer, since we're speaking in tremendous generalities, but I will - the foregoing statement is in no way meant to reflect upon the parties to this present disagreement.
Take THAT Davis 4/18!

1) In my opinion, a good way to address a problem publicly is with a little sugar. Though in this instance Wim is the one who wrote the 'intemperate' e-mail, others have made similar accusations of other manufacturers. But I have also seen posts where the technician kindly mentions publicly that there has been attempted communication with no response, and have others had a similar experience, or does someone have current contact information. I find that it is a more effective (and polite) way to address problems in communicating. It gives the manufacturer a way to make amends, without looking bad. I am not refuting Wim's experience. However, since I have had good communication with this manufacturer, I felt it appropriate to say so. Maybe I am the only one, but I really doubt it. We all know that 100 satisfied customers will seldom outshine the 1 that had a complaint. A year from now, ask a question about the manufacturer in question and everyone will
 remember Wim's words. No one will remember what you and I have written. Well, maybe some will. :-)

2) I didn't forget the customer. I did leave her/him out, intentionally, because it is the technical/sales/manufacturing side of the equation that must work well together to remove the obstacles necessary for the customer to create beautiful piano music.

I hope this comes across in a good light and answers your questions. I have met Wim at conventions, and he seems like a good guy. I tend to get a little aggitated when people owe me money, too.

Best regards,

Dave Davis, RPT