[pianotech] Don't work for this manufacturer

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Oct 27 09:22:20 MDT 2009

At 10:33 AM 10/27/2009, Dave Davis wrote:
>Hi David,No, I'm not calling Wim out on his experiences and I agree
>with you, in that it was a bit intemperate. (Although, I am a Mixed
>Martial Artist and do enjoy a good brawl <grin>). This may be a good
>time to start a thread called "Good business practices in working
>with manufacturers". Even before the downturn in the economy,
>manufacturers worldwide were facing difficulties. We all
>(technicians, dealers, and manufacturers) should work together to
>build strength in the piano community. Just saying. Best
>regards,Dave Davis, RPT

Dave -
Not too much to grab onto there for a fight, but I'll do my
best.  Two things: 1) What, according to 'good business practices'
should Wim have done, assuming his portrayal of events was accurate?
and  2) you left out a major player in your piano-community-building
list: the customer.  We can refine our interpersonal skills from now
until then, but if the poor economic climate is seen to justify less
than honorable practices within the dealer-manufacturing wing (I
know, it would never happen), how useful are those people skills?  I
shouldn't have to add this disclaimer, since we're speaking in
tremendous generalities, but I will - the foregoing statement is in
no way meant to reflect upon the parties to this present disagreement.
Take THAT Davis 4/18!

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY