[pianotech] hammer issue

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Oct 8 10:59:14 MDT 2009

Steven,
You didn't mention keydip. Did you increase blow to compensate for excessive dip? I'm not sure of the implications here but  blow,dip, letoff and resulting aftertouch are interdependant. Change any one of the triumverate and aftertouch will change. Drop, rep lever postion and spring strength ,friction in action centers and knuckles. Backcheck catching the hammer on the way up and maybe more stuff that I can't think of could all be culprits in failure to perform.
 Assuming all friction issues have been addresed ,
I would start at the keydip on a sample .Adjust blow-letoff and drop with aftertouch as your proof. Leave the letoff @1/16th " and increase dip or decrease blow or a little of both for more aftertouch or the opposite for less.  Position jack to knuckle,adjust spring strength for positive but not jerky  rise then adjust the rep lever over the jack to get a slight wink of the hammer on jack return. Then checking .Then do it again  and maybe again. Do your test. In my experience these actions are usually set up without the wacky geometry problems for which  one  maker is known.It should respond to adjustment and not require surgury.
Best wishes,

Tom Driscoll