[pianotech] Young Chang & Weber Grands: ActionClicking/KnockingUpon Quick Key Release

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 19:10:00 MDT 2009

 Greetings,

 The noise appears to be either (1) the repetition or jack hitting the knuckle; or (2) the jack regulating button hitting the stop.  The knocking/clicking occurs when any key is released quickly, but not even necessarily all the way up.  I believe it happens when the key is released enough to let the jack return.  I’m now wondering if a third possibility is the spring in the little hole of the jack?  If so, what’s the fix?

 A softer jack button felt will stop this, however, there is something else that will help.  Make sure that the jack is in contact with the knuckle.  You should be able to feel the top of the jack scrape across the knuckle when you move the tender. This will slow the jack's return, and it won't hit the spoon so hard.  Having excessive spring tension will also make more noise,so I would soften the spring so that you cannot feel its recoil upon slowly releasing the hammer from check. Otherwise, order some softer punchings for the jack adj. buttons.
regards,

Ed Foote RPT