[pianotech] buttons and shoes - was pulley key...

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Sep 28 06:27:34 MDT 2012

David L said:
< I felt they were both too hard but just wondered what others thought
and what their experience was.

Ditto. I did a couple of maple shoe jobs, and had to go back in and
replace the shoes...I used basswood for home instruments the re-work .

In order to avoid noise, the fit is so unforgiving with the maple its
just saying "hit me" for no good reason. As Del said, there are plenty
of softwood shoes out there whose service life was quite
respectable...why set one's self up for re-work unnecessarily.

If you are going to use maple, there needs to be a very shy 1mm contact
depth at the hole/pin, and the hole/pin fit must not be the gravity
sliding fit we are used to, but must be a tight no slop pivot.

This creates secondary problems of its own:

-if you do keyleveling with the stack on, raising the keys to add
leveling punchings is really difficult, as you have to fight with the
keys to raise them on the pins.
-followup techs will see the tight balance fit, and mistake it for a
problem. They will then ease the hole and wham-o, you've got a call
back...I had this happen on one of the maple shoe jobs

Not worth it on any level in my opinion.

Interestingly, in chatting about this with a Boston tech responsible for
BSO and institutional pianos, he went in and re-worked all his maple
shoes for the above reasons, but also was unhappy with the poplar
shoes...so now is using basswood, I believe.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com