[pianotech] Ivory Law

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Fri May 4 08:55:35 MDT 2012

Calif Ivoy Law   This subject line is a bit hard to search the archives for and so this post is to serve as a link to all the previously discussed points on this subject.  The misspelled word IVORY as IVOY puts all these valuable previous discussions into a cyber pile of lost data.

Secondly,  ...........

It has been my understanding that ivory couldn’t be shipped across continental borders  ........  no matter it’s source, shape or usage.  Now I hear that state law is making things even tougher on ivory owners.  Fortunately there’s a lot of pianos who’s ivory is slowly being replaced or taken to the dump.

This latest development on this subject makes selling keytop replacement jobs that much easier.  It hurts however, when there’s a perfect set of ivory keytops on a piano and the piano could possibly be seized by the feds or fish and game agents.

The judge’s job isn’t made any easier when he/she has to lay down the order to destroy some exquisite workmanship found in the intricate carvings I’ve seen on some ivory pieces  .........  or a fine Boosendorfer.

...........  and so now I have this enormous  box of ivory  ......  anywhere from chipped and fragmented to totally clean and pristine ...........  that I’ve collected over the years for the use of spot replacements or creative endeavors.  This law is saying we can’t sell ivory as spot replacements on otherwise perfect sets of ivory keytops.  You could include them as a gift during the course of a repair  ................   but I got a hunch the courts have a way to ruin your life on that process.