[pianotech] tunelab vs. verituner

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 08:38:24 MDT 2012

Hi Gary,I suppose it depends on what you expect from the ETD...
Each platform has strengths.  The Verituner collects themost information and then uses that information similar to the way an aural tuner creates a tuning - by direct comparison back to the temperament.  The needle is very accurate, you don't really need the barn doors or blush to tell when you areas close as you decide you want to be.  If you want to be really tough, there is the real-time numeric display down to a tenthof a cent... See how hard it is to get the three strings to show 0.0!
The real strength of the Verituner is the custom styles. (stretch)You can save styles, which is like an aural recipe for tuning and thenapply that style to pianos of the same make.  Once you've found the "perfect" approach for a Wurlidorferway spinet, each time you approachanother one, you don't need to start over to find the best tuning.
So if you want an upgrade to the way the ETD matches the piano with yourinput via the custom styles, Verituner is the way to go.  I often hear backfrom techs how much better the pianos sound after they switch and learn to manipulate the software.
There is a user forum that is pretty quiet, but a lot of good informationis available there. (tons of style suggestions)
The iphone/ipod touch/ipad is a great way of working with Verituner.  I think because of apple's ability to handle videos so well, the display is just really good - better than the box or the pocket pc.
Ron Kovalchicagoland

**********************************************************Seems like my ipaq is about to give up the ghost.  I've been using
Tunelab for years (Cybertuner before that) and am interested in
Verituner to round out the trinity of the big 3 in software.  I think
I'd miss the option of doing the muteless pitchraise that Tunelab gives
me.  Any thoughts or opinions from anyone who  has both?
Thanks,
gary