[pianotech] Evil Glue

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Wed Mar 21 06:41:15 MDT 2012

(I tried sending this last night, but I didn't see it show up in the archives, which is where I view this group.  I'm trying again with links to the photos, rather than attachments.)

My hide glue kit lives in my car.  My kit is the same size as several others that live there . . . my Damppchaser service parts kit, for instance.  I've attached photos. I have done an in-home hammer hanging with hide glue.  If you're going to do this in-home, adding the hot hide glue dimension really is not that much fuss and bother.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

https://s3.amazonaws.com/floydgaddpianos/images/gluekit1.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/floydgaddpianos/images/gluekit2.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/floydgaddpianos/images/gluekit3.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/floydgaddpianos/images/gluekit4.JPG

Quote:
So, since I don't have a real shop - just my basement - and I need to replace hammers on an upright piano ....... At a customers' home, I'm supposed to drag, setup and use a hide glue pot to hang the hammers ..... I don't think so.... just sayin' FWIW, I've started to use fish glue. Duaine -- Duaine Hechler Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ Tuning, Servicing& Rebuilding Reed Organ Society Member Florissant, MO 63034