[pianotech] Hide Glue

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:35:12 MDT 2012

Hello

    As one who did. It wrong before "getting it right" , and as one still on a journey seeking improvements; currently I am digesting and exercising  some of Stanwood's protocols.perhaps I can speak To some of the pitfalls of hanging hammers in a persons home. I tied in once in home, long ago. I choose not do that again.

    Here are a few of my challenges hanging hammers, pitfalls, and improvements I made
Over time, some of which I could never do in a persons home.

1) in shop the action is out and on a bench with really good light. Upright in an action cradle.
    I can see the lines from the front, the back, from the side eyeing down the hammer line.
    I have enough challenges making an accurate line without being constrained by limiting
   Lines Of sight with the action in the piano. I do a much better line of hammers in the shop.
    Rulers, square, light, table with good lines of sight.

2) In the piano I am tempted to space hammers to the stings without consideration to
    Other problems. I may find myself compensating for poor travel or bad string spacing
     From a previous poor restringing. I have fallen into the trap of offsetting hammers to
     Compensate for other errors, ending up with a less then perfect line and spacing.
     Furthermore, turning a hammer to hit a string when travel is wandering, compensating
For the error with another error, also means the hammer is twisted and not square with the string for good hammer mating.
      My priorities are a perfectly straight line, nicely spaced. Square. Side to side can be adjusted
In the piano later to meet the. Strings, hammers are not turned, they are spaced, and must remain square to the string.
       You get the picture. Yes I have made more then one mess in my life. Surmised, this point
Is on a bench I use a square, big metal rulers, good light, good lines of sight. In the piano I
Am tempted to skew things to compensate for other errors.

3). Hammer weight. how are adjustments made in a home.
     I have weighed off hammers with a gram scale to a tenth of a gram for some time. Now I
     Am beginning to weigh off strike weight and make corrections removing or adding weight
     As required to achieve defined targets. How to I sand and grind hornbeam or mahogany
     In a persons home, making all that wood dust.  How do we work on correcting weight variations due to wood molding Density variations, and other variable factors in a home, making all that mess.

 4) I like hide glue.

     I have heard reports of improved tone with nice hard crystal hide glue, I wonder about that.
     That would make a cool experiment, replace a hammer that is cured hide glue with some
     Modern more plastic glue. Same hammer, same piano, same hammer fitting.....see if there is
     An audible change.   Anyone tried this. Any solid evidence for the tonal superiority of hide glue
     Or is this wishful thinking.

Don't have all the answers, but have made good progress working it out.

                                                      Cheers
                                                       Dave Renaud

Sent from my iPad