[pianotech] piano moving-wall jack

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 1 14:24:44 MST 2012

Doug said:
"This is a device that I think I have been the first to use to lift
pianos. The is a construction wall jack or pump jack used to raise
prefab walls into place. Usually two are used to raise a wall. The
jack climbs a 2 x 4 by pumping the big handled. The two small white
handles are used to ease the piano down a little at a time in a
ratcheting manner.

I use this mainly on very heavy pianos like full uprights and old
players and any piano in tight quarters where I don't have room to pry
it up with a hand truck. I used it last week on one of the heaviest
old uprights I have run across. It was a Heintzman- monstrously heavy.
I jacked up one end 6 inches and put a 6 x 6 under one end. I went to
the other end and did the same and put a dolly under the piano. No
sweat. No hernia.

One caution here: Do have another person on the other end to keep the
piano from rolling or sliding away as you jack it up. This can happen
when you get one end higher than the other. DAMHIK."

Doug,
Interesting thingamajig.<G> What is the "base" that is attached to the
2"x4"?
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police