[pianotech] GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 18 07:51:08 MST 2012

On 12/18/2012 8:34 AM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:

> Working the structure appropriately remains in my experience, and, as
> you have described, yours as well, key to giving the system register
> appropriate mobility or restraint as needed.

Right. Scaling is considered to be first, but what the piano has to give
you dimensionally and what you can change, free up, and reinforce to
accommodate better function will also determine the final scale.

> This in and of itself leads me to
> question some of the accepted wisdom regarding the requirements of good
> scaling.

Good luck on getting a rational answer on that one.

>Not that the current scaling goals are incorrect, but rather
> that they may be one way among others of achieving a good sounding scale.

Some, I would say are pressing hard on incorrect. But for the most part,
scaling, like the rest of belly design, has a rather large range of
acceptable. However dire the consequences of sinning, there is or has
been a production model out there with the same horrifying
characteristics, which probably sold as well as anything and was the
pride of it's owner.

> I remain, as I said, in experimental mode, with thoroughly
> musical and professional results coming out of in-process rebuilds.

This should be the case with all of us.

Ron N