[pianotech] GH-1s

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Dec 18 07:34:02 MST 2012

David and Ron,

Thanks for the well reasoned responses.

On the structural end of the discussion, ie the details of rib scaling,
bridge placement and end of bridge extensions, float, thinning or not,
etc. , my string tension, and BP%via wire tensile strength experiments
confirmed this part of the discussion. Areas of the board that had
strategic errors were still areas that structural strategic errors.
Working the structure appropriately remains in my experience, and, as
you have described, yours as well, key to giving the system register
appropriate mobility or restraint as needed.

Regarding the string scale, I remain in experimental mode. There may or
may not be useful information turned up, but without messing about one
doesn't know. I do know, though, at this point, that my messing about
with the wire tensile strength, tension and BP%, along with more normal
speaking length adjustments in relation to backscale, cross break length
adjustments, etc, that a very nice sounding piano can be had, warnings
of dire consequences notwithstanding.  This in and of itself leads me to
question some of the accepted wisdom regarding the requirements of good
scaling. Not that the current scaling goals are incorrect, but rather
that they may be one way among others of achieving a good sounding scale.

I also know that wires of lower tensile strength are not new, and were
in fact part of the tonal palette ( along with higher ratios and softer
lighter hammers) in earlier modern pianos. Some of my experimenting is a
direct response to hearing how the tonal palette, in certain earlier
pianos, though less powerful throughout, especially in the bass, gave a
clarity to registration, and differentiation that is absent in the
modern piano. In these instruments, as a member of the audience in a
small venue concert, I experience the "lack of power", but accompanying
differentiation as a decided advantage rather than a detriment.

On the other hand, levels of sustain in the treble of a well designed
modern piano are to my ear quite attractive. So my take as a musician as
well as a redesigner is what can I do to get some of the best of both of
these worlds. I remain, as I said, in experimental mode, with thoroughly
musical and professional results coming out of in-process rebuilds.

When experimenting, my hypotheses are generated, by seeing something
which to me is as intuititively obvious as a "duhh". Then I go back and
put the apparently obvious to the test and see if it remotely matches
the reality of the built system.  I ain't no rocket scientist for sure,
but in piano work, after a lifetime of designing and tweaking wooden
structures, I see so many "duhh's" that I don't implicitly trust any
received or conventional wisdom on what is appropriate or acceptable...I
test it all, in relation to my aesthetic goals in piano sound.

Specifically regarding this conversation, using lower tensile strength
wires as a design tool to adjust BP% where modern wire will not allow
that flexibility is for me one of those "duhh's".

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com