[pianotech] GH-1s

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Dec 18 14:46:00 MST 2012

I think it may be that what you heard in those pianos was a much lower
tension scale.  Those lower tension scales produce less power but stronger
fundamental which can be heard as greater clarity, a simpler and warmer
sound anyway.  I have a customer with an 1850's Bosendorfer, wooden frame,
very low tension.  The piano lacks the power, of course, of a modern piano
but has a certain warmth and character to it that is quite pleasing.  I have
not analyzed the bass scale but you can hear that it is lower tension.
While it would sound out of character with the Steinway A that she also has,
it works very well in this particular instrument.  I don't think it would
work well in a small modern piano either as the tensions in those small
pianos are still relatively high.    All things need to be in balance.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com