[pianotech] OT: Grammar

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Dec 5 15:40:14 MST 2012

Well, "their" and "them" and "they" refer to more than one person, yet the
subject of the sentence is the "applicant", singular. Given that the
university has the individual's name and title, "Mr.", it is clearly aware
of the person's gender, ergo it is a simple matter to say "his
application", "contact him", and "if he has provided".

Certainly "his or her", "he or she", etc. is an awkward construct, but it's
not even necessary here, or in many other cases where "they" (etc.) are
used instead.