[pianotech] OT: Grammar

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Dec 5 15:24:24 MST 2012

This evening I have written and submitted a reference for a former
student of mine who is applying to university. In the UK, such
applications are processed by a body called UCAS; the Universities and
Colleges Admissions Service.

I duly submitted the reference online, and a few moments later, received
an email confirmation.

Here is the text of the beginning of the email:

Dear David Boyce

Your reference for Mr M*** H***** has now been received by us. The
applicant will now be able to complete and send their application into
us, we will contact them by email if they have provided a verified email
address.

Now, folks, I am not a pedant in matters linguistic. I appreciate that
languages constantly change and evolve. But there is fascinating change
and evolution, and there is slovenliness.  The secodn sentence of the
above contains two annoying illiteracies; "into" should of course be "in
to" (and the "in" is redundant in any case) and a Comma Splice has been
used instead of a semicolon after "us".

The body who sent that email to me are responsible for almost all of the
admissions to Higher Education institutions in the UK.  If they are so
illiterate in so short a communication, what are we to expect in general?

Best regards,

David.