[pianotech] Won't Stay in Tune

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:50:47 MST 2012

Stephen and Kent - that may be it, embarrassing though it be. I checked the
beckets and they were tight according to my parallel pliers - BUT in both
cases the string is not coming out the other end of the hole...(which i
hadn't noticed until you mentioned it) Oh dear...now in the case of the
F#6, i originally thought it was  a loose tuning pin, so yesterday I had
already removed the pin, shimmed it with sandpaper, and replaced it.
However, while replacing, the dang string broke at the becket, at which
point i straightened the string (mostly) and worked it back in the becket
hole, and put 1 less coil on it. However, the string didn't make it all the
way through (or rather, it pulled back out a little while tuning it up.) I
can't fix it now, has to wait til tomorrow, but I will let you know
tomorrow how that goes. However, if it does happen to hold its pitch
tomorrow after pulling it up a half-step sharp now, then maybe it will have
equalized despite the bad becket. Probably better to just replace the
string though anyway.

Thanks for the idea! Also, the distance from coil to plate was a little
more than 1/4", which i have just corrected. It is now 3/8".