[pianotech] 8th grade education

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Dec 4 20:39:39 MST 2012

Marshall

You'll get a lot of responses to the tuning lever, but in regards to tuning the top notes on a grand.  First of all, unless there is a lot of junk on top of the piano, the lid has to be all the way up. This gives me full access to all the strings, and gives me great flexibity as to where I can put the strip and/or mutes. It also gives me a much better sound. I'm right handed, so I tune sitting down, with the lever at about 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) o'clock, until the lever gets too close to the rim. Then I stand up and stand to the side of the piano, with the lever over the strings, or even at 11 o'clcok. (As a rule, I usually stand up when I reach the last section, which is about an octave and half). I very seldom have a problem with the lid prop, but if it gets in the way, I deal with it.

Regarding the two or three notes in the tenor before the break, I think part of the reason you're having difficulty is your hammer. The 21C is a short hammer, unless you've already extended all the way. But if you extend your hammer to that distance there is too much flex in the shaft.  For the best control, the hammer should be about 12" - 14" long, like the 21 or 16.

I would also recommend you get a hammer with a ball on the end, especially if you do a lot of uprights. I used to use a 21, and until about 8 years ago, had a lot of elbow problems. The minute I bought a Faulk hammer with a ball on the end of the shaft, my elbow problems went away, almost overnight.

Wim