[pianotech] 8th grade education

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:32:06 MST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Marshall Gisondi <pianotune05 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Speaking of pianos now, have any of you ever found the last two or three
> bichord strings in the tennor problematic when striving for a clean crisp
> unison?

What Susan said.

> I know much is said about hammer control, but is there ever a possibility
> that some tuning levers are inferior to others or does tuning strictly have
> to do with hammer control period no matter how expensive or inexpensive of
> a hammer one uses?  Is all of this talk about different levers a matter of
> preference?

Yes. There are bad, decent, good, better, and superior hammers. I started
with a Hale extension lever, and now have a Fujan. I also have the Reyburn
grand and vertical CyberHammers.

>   I have the schaff 21c lever and I bought the universal head and tip that
> are one unit because I needed a better head for clearing plate struts in
> grands when tuning, but for whatever reason the new head doesn't screw on
> tight.  It tightens so much loosens and then gets too tight again. I'm
> hoping I can get this off again.

It's been a long time ago, but I think that is due to the threads used
there. Pipe threads. Not sure if there is a repair, but someone will
probably chime in.

> Also what have you found that works when tuning grands in the treble
> section where the rim and often the lid support get in the way and you have
> to get in a twisted position in order to tune up there.  What are your
> thoughts on all of this?

You can do what Susan mentioned. I think it's also good to learn to tune
left-handed. Makes tuning the upper treble section easier.

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS