[pianotech] 8th grade education

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Dec 4 20:25:36 MST 2012

Hi, Marshall

For the high treble of a grand, once the tuning hammer starts getting
too close
to the rim, I stand up, and walk around the corner of the piano so I'm
facing toward
the bass end. That way the tuning hammer can be parallel to the straight
side of the
piano (it would be at "12 o'clock" if you were still sitting on the
bench), and
your arm can miss the lid prop. You can also see the strings better,
looking
straight down at them. (Well, I can ... sorry about that.)

Unisons in the tenor bichords -- sometimes the wire is just annoying,
and the unisons
won't come clean. The best you can do is try to make enough peace
between them that
they are no more obnoxious than they absolutely have to be.

Choosing a tuning tip and head, I prefer to have a short head at a steep
angle.

Schaff carries a 7/8" head at a 15 degree angle:
https://istore.schaffpiano.com/istore/product/13F

I believe the head on mine is at 20 degrees. I bought it at a convention.

Most of the time this will clear the struts, but if it won't, use
a tuning tip extender, also from Schaff. You can put it onto
the tuning pin, and just put your tuning lever onto the top of it.

https://istore.schaffpiano.com/istore/product/3129

Hope this is of help.

Susan Kline