[pianotech] Grey Market Yamaha/Kawai

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Thu Aug 30 09:08:59 MDT 2012

Jim,

I just want to underscore everything others have said in previous posts.
It is not simply fear mongering.  Here in the Washington, DC area, I have
serviced many grey market Yamahas and some older Kawais as well.  Only one
or two of them had acceptable pin torque.  Grand or upright, makes no
difference.  Torque measured on several was in the 20-40 range --
basically untunable.  I am currently re-pinning a 29-year-old Kawai KG-2D
at Howard University (where I am on staff) which was otherwise a very nice
piano as a donation, but absolutely untunable.  We have 3 other Kawais
ranging 30-35 years old, all of which require re-pinning to be usable as
musical instruments.  Note that the torque is much worse than any other
average piano of same age or older that was built for North American
climate.

One other thing.  Like others, I have seen soundboard damage/repairs
(rib-to-soundboard glue & screw repairs) as well as warped front panels
and kneeboards.

I always recommend avoiding if possible.  Like other have said, if you can
keep the RH up above 50% year-round, probably OK.  They play OK.  I always
recommend, and have installed several, WET Life Saver systems.  They help
to a degree, but avoidance is better.

--
Paul Milesi RPT
Registered Piano Technician Member, Piano Technicians Guild
paul at pmpiano.com
http://www.pmpiano.com