[pianotech] Grey Market Yamaha/Kawai

ChicagoTuner at aol.com ChicagoTuner at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 08:50:20 MDT 2012

I can think of two issues concerning these pianos.
First, the Japanese do not want to buy used pianos. So, the institutional
pianos that have been beaten to death are sent here, at half-price they may
be  seriously over-priced.
Second, I've seen different 'grades' of pianos, some with new pinblocks.
(They are actually sold this way wholesale.) Some of the blocks weren't that
bad, but you are probably better off new and with a warranty.
Of course, walking into someone's home for the first time, you have no idea
 what you're up against until you see it.
And yes, Yamaha usually checks the serial # for anything you're ordering
and they do not support the grey pianos.
Also, remember the G series wasn't all that great to begin with.

Michael
Chicago

In a message dated 8/30/2012 8:31:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,