[pianotech] Grey Market Yamaha/Kawai

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 30 08:28:29 MDT 2012

Hi, Jim:
I'm in San Diego.  The store I used to work for sold these at various times over the years.  Since we are on the coast, where humidity rarely goes below 40%, structural failure didn't become a problem in the ones I've seen.  But, quite a few had borderline tuning pin torque.  I used to think the concern of failure was a bunch of hooey, but after hearing from techs who live in other parts of the country, and the failures they've seen, there's no argument.  Also, not all importer/rebuilders are the same.  We had some that I heard had been "rebuilt" in Vietnam, where the strings had been removed, cleaned, and then replaced.  The tuning pins were loose, and using CA didn't help.  In a word, they were junk.  We had some imported by a company in Florida (name withheld) that were very good, but it's hard to judge a piano from 3000 miles away.  Some of the latest models for sale (from '90's and newer) probably would hold up here in SD, but most of these are '70's era.  Exhuming comes to mind.  If you can inspect them before purchase, and if you live in a damp climate, it's a safer bet.  But still a bet, and never mind getting parts, though action parts can be had if you have a serial number from the American model of the same type.
YMMV.
Paul McCloud
San Diego