[pianotech] So there I was...peacefully

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu Aug 23 20:22:02 MDT 2012

Terry said:

<So Jim, more info please. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't
understand your point...

<...I seriously do apologize - I probably just don't get

Terry,

I thought about this throughout the day, trying to figure out how to
verbalize how offensive I find these superfluous, and, as in the case of
the phony rivets, down right bogus visual elements.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss to explain why I find these so offensive...I
wonder if it bugs anybody else or if its just me. Well, wait a minute,
maybe not totally at a loss, as I write this the words are coming...

In many ways I find the design of the grand piano to be utterly lacking
in sensitivity in terms of visual gracefulness and proportions. Though I
love to play a nice grand, and love the sounds of a well designed
prepared grand,  visually, I find most of them to be butt ugly hunks,
dresssed up with lots of finishes and shiny bits to disguise their lack
of grace. I often find that the visual "design" elements that are there,
are either trying to take the eye away from the instrument's essential
ungainly-ness, or as in Victorian sensibilities in general, classical
geometrical proportion is simply eliminated from the experience and is
replaced with superflous applied stuff. (obviously my subjective take on
things Victorian)

This, ie the nature of the Victorian aesthetic, is probably what irks me
about these details, as Victorian sensibilities are my absolute least
favorite details. They always seem to me to be full of over the top
surface treatment and shy on the simple substance of pleasing
proportion. To be fair, the modern piano did arise during this Victorian
period, so what can one expect.

But really, the phony rivets...geez they make it look more like the
steel riveted elevated rail lines in the Bronx than, like say, a musical
instrument. The fact that some designer considered these rivets an
attractive visual detail completely escapes me...or in any case inspires
me to leave as much of this visual aesthetic in the Bronx, holding up
the trains, as possible.

In piano land, the only visual exception that I see to this Victorian
excess, is turn of the century Chickerings, which have a grace which is
singular in this industry, at least to my eye.

As I look back at the plate I victimized and de-Victorian-ized, I smile
and can now look at it without flinching...now its just the legs that
have to go...and go they will.  By the way, this piano is, of course, a
spec instrument, a Hume, which was an S&S ripoff at the turn of the
century. I of course wouldn't try this on a customer's personal piano,
unless they were a willing accomplice. But its built real solid, so it
has some good tonal potential...which is why I'm messing with it.

How's that?

Jim Ialeggio

ps Hume, by the way was a bit of a embezzler, screwing Steinert, who
himself was not adverse to liberating S&S designs for his own use...till
properly sued.

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com