[pianotech] WD40 on pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 22 17:53:37 MDT 2012

On 8/22/2012 5:47 PM, David Boyce wrote:

>The client also told me that this other tuner
> begged off from tuning the top half-octave or so, on the grounds that he
> wasn't feeling great, and the notes weren't too bad......

Aromatic hydrocarbon poisoning, apparently.

> I can't imagine how he would think that WD40 would confine itself to the
> coils, no matter how carefully he applied it.

Yea, "I can't imagine how he would think" either. Everyone screws up now
and then, but we hope for some evidence of consciousness and
professional intent - at least minimal awareness. Seems like most folks
would consider possible drawbacks to hosing a musical instrument down
with such stuff. Fortunately most do. I once followed a store tuner on a
new Yamaha with a "squeaking damper" complaint. He'd rocked the action
forward and emptied a WD-40 can inside. He soaked strings, bridges,
soundboard, the entire back side of the action, hammers, dampers, and
key ends. The squeak, however, eluded him. The piano was trash. That was
before Barney, unfortunately.

Ron N