[pianotech] WD40 on pinblock

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Aug 22 18:00:37 MDT 2012

> If the tuning pins are only "a little loose" - a measured numerical
> value or at least an estimate would sure help - why would you even
> consider treating the pins with CA? I'm assuming that "a little loose"
> is not "too loose". What does "a little loose" mean?
>
> Is it like being a little bit pregnant?
>
> Terry Farrell
Haha, by "a little loose", I mean not as tight as I'd like them to be
for real stability of tuning.  Not that different, perhaps, from some
other equally old pianos: One or two pins suddenly slipping flat when I
put the lever on them, solved, happily, by punching them further in to
the pinblock.

I asked about CA because I was thinking, IF the looseness has been
caused by the WD40 rather than just the age of the pinblock, and IF it
gets worse, would CA treatment work, or would the WD40 prevent it from
working?

I have never been even the tiniest bit pregant, I am sure of it.

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk