[pianotech] Two of My Best Tools!!

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 16:37:11 MDT 2012

I've bought four really great tools in the past year or so. Besides my wonderful Fugan carbon fiber tuning lever and my I-Phone with Verituner installed on it, I bought a very small portable fan and a small flashlight that I've been searching for forever.

Pics and verbiage about fan came in the previous post.

My light. I often find that room lighting is just fine when tuning vertical pianos - except for the high treble, up past where the dampers terminate. It's often dark down there and sometimes difficult to see where I am putting my mutes. I have fiddled with trying to balance a small flashlight in the past - never very satisfactory though. So after searching every logical place, guess what I found at Walgreen's in the school supplies isle? The perfect little clip-on LED flashlight. Check it out!

The picture below has it clipped on a tuning pin - you can see how well it lights up things: