[pianotech] More agraffes...kind'a

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Aug 21 06:37:59 MDT 2012

Ron said:

<So does spinning your spot facer in the counter bore to clean it out

What's a spot facer? an endmill?

Thanks all for the responses.

I think the culprit, at least how I was doing it, was high build auto
body primers followed by a nitrocellulose product. The bond between the
primer and nitro was terrible. I'm converting to a full auto body finish
schedule (which thankfully will complete the elimination of nitro from
my shop entirely...finishes are all waterborne, except small quantities
of shellac.)

So it sounds like something really cheap and simple like david's box
nails to keep the flat clean-ish, and breaking the edge of the
counterbore after the primer with sandpaper should get me there. Since
I'm subbing this all out to an auto body guy from now on, the trick will
be to get him to do the necessary post paint followup...unless the full
autobody schedule will result in a less chip prone finish, and the
followup is not as critical as with nitro...I'll have to see.

Jim

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com