[pianotech] piano leg screws

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Aug 11 07:53:15 MDT 2012

Marshall,
 The answer was at the piano.
Remove the screw from the other leg (temporarily)
and see if will snug down on the leg with the missing screw. If yes either take it down to the local hardware store to pick out a duplicate or trace the outline of the screw on a piece of paper for the same exercise.
   If it's stripped you can line the hole with a thin piece of leather glued with titebond and insert the screw. I've recently tried  a tip mentioned on our list  by inserting paper towel and thin CA but you're
working up hill on this one .
   As to the size we can all start guessing but the piano will tell you . Find a local hardware store with the million bins of misc stuff and get  the old guy with the cigarette out near the propane tanks . He can help you find what you need. I love the Depot and Lowes for lots of things but not for hardware..
    Marshall ,  if I remember you take the bus to some of your calls but my backup supply-tool kit in the car has a misc. bag-o-screws.
Without that option it is clearly a challenge to pack enough stuff without having to lug a 40 Lb case around.
That being said I do have two small plastic parts containers in my primary kit with what my experience has taught me to bring along. Jack springs,butt plates,a few flanges, a few misc cloth and paper punchings ,a couple of  elbows and yes a few screws of varying sizes. Not much space and not much weight either.
Best to you,
 Tom Driscoll