[pianotech] piano leg screws

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 11 06:54:43 MDT 2012

Hi Everyone,
On Monday I went to tune a piano that needed three elbows which I didn't have with me unfortunately. So I'm stil looking for a tool case big enough to carry more tools & supplies, but the reason i'm e-mailing is this.  The customer said that the leg was loose. It was because one of the screws is missing.  What size screw should I get to replace that one?  The leg is on a Shoniger spinet. I forgot to take a picture of it.  It's one of those skinny legs that have that furniture look to it where it's seems thinner and strait at the bottom and angles as it goes up toward the key bed. The screws go in at an angle as well. They screw in from the leg itself not from within the piano. So you're putting the screw in a hole that is in the leg itself.  I'm guessing the hole must be stripped. Why else would a leg screw be missing?  I've seen other screws on that would just fall out or sit loosly in their holes.  So I'm thinking ithis is the case here.  What size wouldl you recommend?  Would it be best to use Schaff or could I find one at Lowes/Home Depot?  Thanks
Marshall
MARSHALLS PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com