[pianotech] Twisted sticks

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 18:00:10 MDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> On 8/10/2012 1:50 PM, Rob McCall wrote:
>
>> Ron,
>>
>> I thought about this... I remember you talking about this quite a
>> while ago but I wasn't sure which area of the key to whittle.  Your
>> picture tells all. Thanks...
>>

> That makes me 1000 words ahead!
>
> That's the only place you really can remove a lot of material without it
> showing or weakening the key. And I take off as much as I can, rather than
> try for any three decimal balance figure. Very scientific, but functionally
> practical. It is C-8 after all, and the front needs lightened a lot.
>

> I have a follow-up tuning in about 3 weeks.  I'll bring my whittling
>> knife and get to work.
>>

> No tape stitches though. Save the blood for stringing. <G>
> Ron N

I have another idea, I've done it before with great success, cut a kerf 3/4
of the way through the key in the oppisite angle of the twist, put some
Titebond in the cut & clamp it end to end until the kerf closes on top.
You will now have a straight or semi-straight key.
I had a Baldwin spinet that had about 5 or 6 of these, fixed them all that
way.
Mike

--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404