[pianotech] A new use for piano benches

Arlie Rauch adarpub at midrivers.com
Fri Apr 20 14:23:15 MDT 2012

I was called to a house once in a small town.  The lady said she would not be home.  She would leave the back door unlocked.  She had a big dog in the back yard, but he had never bitten anyone.

I love dogs (have a Shnauzer) and usually get along with them well, but when I arrived the dog appeared absolutely ferocious.  I could not reach the back door without passing through his territory.  After driving all that way, I did not want to leave without tuning.  I surveyed the area and noted the position of the clothes line posts.  If I walked around the house and the dog tried to follow me, he would wrap himself around the posts and thus shorten his chain.  I could always leave through the front door if necessary.

It worked.  What amazed me was that he was still wrapped around those posts when I left.  I'm guessing the client wondered when she came home why her dog was in that position.

Arlie Rauch