[pianotech] Kawai Pedal Lock Nuts

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 17 14:28:16 MDT 2012

On 4/17/2012 1:57 PM, Paul Milesi wrote:
> I confess I cannot knowledgeably describe how this alignment thing works,
> but I do know that I have tightened (with appropriate tools) two nuts
> together on the same threaded shaft, only to have them turn easily and
> smoothly as one.

If, like Don pointed out, one of the nuts is also the shaft, like the
Kawai system, yes. In that case, you're not tightening anything TO
anything. With two nuts on a separate shaft as I presume Joe was
referring to, tightening the nuts together WILL lock them to the shaft.
Thread alignment has nothing to do with it, and adding a washer will
make no difference.

>Obviously others have experienced this as well.  I have
> always imagined it to be the beginning/ending threads were in some
> relationship to one another where one left off, the other begins sort of
> thing.

Nope, no such thing unless the nut is just tightened to the wrong thing
altogether, which ought to be pretty obvious shortly after doing it.

>Yes, I know . . . .  I find your opposing directions notion
> interesting, and not one I've previously entertained.

This is the basis of how lock nuts work.
Ron N