[pianotech] regulating an 1870-80's miller square?

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu Apr 12 15:57:16 MDT 2012

Looking for leads on a reference work to help in regulating a Miller
square from the 1870-early 80's.

Trying to resolve these questions:

1 Are the shanks supposed to rest on the felt, like an upright, with
minimal lost motion?

2 With the single escapement, will repetition only occur if key returns
to rest before a second blow?

3 I see provisions to adjust hammer height. With reasonable hammer
reshaping, raise shanks, retain original blow, and raise rest rail( or
add felt)?

4 action centers appear to be brass. Reuse center pins and deal with
felt as necessary?

5 Dip will be what is necessary, but appears to be between 1/4"-5/16"?

6 I don't see a mechanical reason to create aftertouch...correct?

7 lacking a rep lever,rep spring and secondary escapement, what is the
purpose of backcheck?  Doesn't it just create miles of lost motion?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com