[pianotech] Question about 19 1/2 piano wire

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 22:55:17 MDT 2012

Al asked:
"I am restringing a piano that calls for 19 1/2 wire (2 note - 6 strings)
near the tenor break after 4 notes (8 strings) that are wound. I find that
I am out of 19 1/2 (.044), so I borrowed some wire for another tech, that
wasn't tagged. I measured it and it reads (.0435). Might be metric? What do
you think, use it or wait for the 19 1/2, .044? I don't think .005 will
make mush of a difference, but it is at the break and that causes me to
worry. I hate thumpy sounding wire strings at the break."

Al,
If you had done a scale evaluation and possible re-scale with a Scale
Program you wouldn't be asking that question. It is not that difficult to
do. Why is it, so many highly qualified techs, refuse to go down that path?
In my opinion, any tech that does not do a scale evaluation for each and
every restringing, should not be doing that kind of work. Leave it to those
of us that want to do optimum level work, instead mediocre work. <G> Scale
evaluation does not necessarily lead to rescaling. And, rescaling does not
void any "warantees" of make it into something, the original designer did
not intend. In fact, it probably will put the piano back, closer to the
original intent.
Get a program or make one Al. Please????
That's my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police