[pianotech] Question about 19 1/2 wire

Albert Picknell pnrfqsnrk at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 12 14:01:13 MDT 2012

Hi Al
Size 19.5 metric wire is 1.100 mm, which is .0433" -- pretty close to what you measured.  The metric (e.g. Roslau) and AWG (e.g. Mapes) piano wire numbering systems both use the same numbers, but the sizes are not the same (despite what you might find in some suppliers' catalogues).  See the attached chart, a copy of which I keep pinned up in my shop.
Cheers,
Bert