[pianotech] waater-damaged Disklavier

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Fri Oct 14 22:49:38 MDT 2011

Ruth,

I talked at length with Yamaha about this piano.  First of all, they can't get this piano in white anymore, not with the comparable Disklavier. Secondly, most of the parts for the Disklavier components aren't available anymore for this one (the control wagon in white with the umbilical cord). Third, the piano sat in this humidity for approximately 3-4 weeks total before they moved it out. They questioned the glue joints, the case, soundboard, pinblock.  The parts that I could replace more easily added up quite quickly. I stopped counting at $20K for repairs and realized that this is a total loss.  A comparable DGC1 in black retails at $36,000 but can obviously be found for less.

I called the loss mitigator and I told them it was totaled.  He agreed, and wants a letter stating such, and then he said he'd hook me up with the client so that I could help her find a new piano. He also said that he sees a lot of pianos in his business so he's going to call me for any of his future needs.  I'm happy with that, he's happy with that, and if the insurance pays, the owner should be happy with that.  :-)

Rob McCall