[pianotech] Nasty Screw was Re: Screw removal.

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Oct 4 20:53:09 MDT 2011

Follow these steps.
. Soak the screw several times with WD 40 or Blast-it or penetrating
il. Overnight with a wad of soaked cotton taped over the screw, if
ossible.
2. It is worth a try to heat the head with a big soldering iron if you
ave one to get the penetrating oil to boil and penetrate better after
t has soaked overnight.
3.  Take a small pin punch or nail set and place it in the screw slot
n the edge of the screw and angle it as much as you can in the
irection of rotation. Tap it gently  to break down the rust that is
olding the screw head to the bar, or in the threads. A little
atience is important here. Tap gently to not distort the screw head
oo much. This almost always works. You have both sides of the screw
lot to use. You can alternate. I will be surprised if this does not
ork. It has always worked for me. I work on a lot of machines other
han pianos too and have a lot of experience with broken bolts.
Good luck
oug Gregg

Doug

Thank you for this advice. I did your method, and it worked. This morning, before I left the house, I squirted some protek at the base of the screw. Then this afternoon, I drilled more of a slot, and then some, (see photo), and then started hitting the slot with a bag ass screw driver and a hammer. It was frustrating at first, because it just didn't want to move. Then all of a sudden it broke free, and in less than a minute it was out.

Joe, if you're listening, you promised to send me a replacement. The screw is oval head, 2 1/2" long,with a 1/4 shank at the throat and a 7/`16" head. I'll be more than happy to reimburse you for "shipping and handling"

Wim

 have been where you are several times. First, a hammer driven impact
crew driver for about $12-15 is really worth it for next time.
I have rarely had any luck with easy-out/Grab-it devices. They are too
ard and break off too easily.  They also tend to expand the screw and
hat just  makes it worse.
If the Grab-it is broken off in the center of the screw, you will
ikely not get the Grab it out. It is too hard to drill out and it is
irmly wedged now.
[...]
lassic Piano Doc
outhold, NY