[pianotech] something interesting and question about a Yamaha

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 20:58:43 MDT 2011

Hi Everone,
I'm not sure if I did thank you who responded to my e-mails the last few times, but thanks again.  The customer with the hammer that's not striking, has to reschedule.

What I found out the other day is this. My wife cleans the house of a couple in our area who owns a Yamaha I'm guessing console. It stands under 5'3" tall.  The previous piano tech. told them to keep a light bulb I guess inside the bottom of the piano the piano. He told her that the heat from the light would keep the piano from getting too moist, but I would think that it would mess up the pitch, dry out other parts control humidity.  Have any of you heard of this?  Maybe someone could shed some light on this lol no pun intended, well not on purpose anyway lol.  I've never heard of this. A light bulb in a piano.  Is this so the mice can see when they are eating the felts?

Also, I evaluated a Yamaha p2 today because he wants to ship it to his daughter about 2 in a half hours away.  It has a couple of keys that don't want to return or repeat well.  If I depress the sustain pedal, they seem to work a little better, guessing tight damper sping?  I think the jack is having some problems as well, strike the note then thunk skips.  Jack pinning perhaps or glueing?  He did say the room does get dry.  It had a dehumidifier rod in side that he didn't know about until I took off the bottom panel to check the bridge, trap work/levers, sound board etc.. I suggested a damp chaser system.

Do any of you service Kensington MD near Washington DC?  I think this piano is worth moving. His daughter wants her son to have a piano to take lessons on. This pianos been in the family for years.  I don't think the would get anyting better for the price he is willing to pay to have it moved there, under $500.

Thanks again.
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service