[pianotech] Rebushing Keys

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Jun 29 08:29:46 MDT 2011

Al -
I've also used both over the years...initially the
bushmaster...later, and most recently Spurlock.  Each has its
benefits, and both are dependant on careful preparation for
successful results.  Cloth selection and mortise preparation are
still key (forgive me).   The wasted cloth in the bushmaster system
always bothered me, though I suspect that John Ross is probably
correct about the trade off with extra time.  The motions are
different, and some might simply be more comfortable with one set of
movements over another.  Using the Spurlock System,  I have found it
useful, on more than one occasion, to use two slightly different
thickness of cloth to get the fit I wanted.  Maybe that would make
Bill cringe, as, it seemed, was my preference for using two of his
grand action support jigs, when working at the piano (on each end of
the action), rather than one, in the middle.   On the other hand, and
speaking of hands, there is the matter of Spurlock's system working
much better with 3 hands, all equally polydexterous: one to hold the
cloth, one to insert the caul, and one to wield the knife, coming
from either left or right.  Both require that the cloth be on the
side of the caul in the direction in which you are moving through the
keyboard, either left or right.  With the two caul (Spurlock) system,
you need to leave the first caul in place for a while, before
removing them to do the final cauls.  You can't go back to your
beginning end to do the other side, as the cloth/caul orientation
would be wrong.

I hope that's clear.  Two other minor bugs about less-than-careful
use of Bushmaster: dulling blade will have more tendency to pull
cloth too deep into mortise; excess glue will collect on blade,
hindering retraction, or smear across bushing.  Periodic immersion in
hot water helps.

Besides the fitting, the other requisite task, for both methods is
trimming any protruding cloth, once cauls are removed, as you already knew.
Regards -

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY