[pianotech] binding keys etc

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 26 14:36:20 MDT 2011

Hi, Marshall:
    Protek lubricant doesn't leave any reside for dust to accumulate.  Some techs use Liquid Wrench, which also has volatile solvents that evaporate.  They will cut thru rust.  Stinky stuff, though.  If the rust is bad enough to risk breaking, it will break anyway so don't stress about it.  You can rub the rust off with polita cake, but you won't get the rust that's around the bridge pins, hitch pins, tuning pins, etc.
    The stack screws should be tightened in a sequence that keeps it in place.  If the screw hole is vertical, not at an angle, tighten those first.  If your screw holes is at an angle, it could push the stack off a little bit.  If the keyframe is well supported, it probably won't matter whether you start from the center or from the ends.
    It is certainly possible that the keyframe is too far back, but that's what the cheek blocks are supposed to do, as well as dags in the action cavity.  One possibility is that the keyframe isn't sitting down on the keybed for some reason, such as riding up on the shifting lever.  Check to see that the keyframe moves as designed when you press the unacorda pedal.  Some aren't designed to move, but you know that.  It could be that the dampers aren't regulated properly and the underlevers are sitting too low for the key ends to slide underneath.  Not likely, but...   Perhaps you left something on the keybed before you slid the action in.
    I'm sure you'll discover the problem when you get there.
    Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego