[pianotech] Touchweight: Re: half punching & figuring FW

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 20:43:06 MDT 2011

Follow up for Barbara Richmond, somewhere near Peoria:

Tried uploading these to the new "higher logic" website but alas, no go
(still waiting for those Vulcan consultants to arrive apparently).  So I'm
posting it here on the old list where it's much simpler and works.
@&#*#$(&%*$()$.  I hope you see it here.  I've copied the new website even
though I have no idea how it will come through there.

Anyway, this is a picture(s) of the veneer method of lowering the action
ratio without moving capstans.  It works very well and drops the ratio by
about .6.  I just did this on an 1970's Teflon Steinway L where I was
replacing the action.  Switched to 17 mm knuckles but still had a 6.0 ratio
(hammer displacement method).  Doing this dropped it nicely to about 5.4.
(6 mm dip moved the hammer 36 mm on the original (6.0) and 32.5 once the
veneer was in place (5.41).

Thin veneer (it's probably .025" thick) is cut into strips about 1/8" wide
and glued in place behind (in this case since I'm lowering the ratio).  In
this case I replaced the punchings with thinner ones which I prefer and
might be required in some cases.  Much easier than moving the capstan and it
works quite well.  Can also be done in place of changing the shank or
knuckle where a lower of the ratio is needed but you're not changing parts
or only changing hammers and don't want to alter the hammer weight
necessarily.  Takes a few hours with all the regulation stuff.  Perhaps you
are already familiar with the method.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com