[pianotech] Soundboard Analysis

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu Jun 23 04:06:28 MDT 2011

Hi William:

You are correct that boards don’t crown evenly, and this is particularly
true of older boards which can often have that sine curve we have come to
know and love.  And these distortions can be great or small depending on the
board and its condition.  Yes, I have moved the gauge along the length of
the rib and do get different readings.  So if I am planning on taking more
than one reading, I make a little dot mark on the panel where I want to take
my measure again, and place the foot there the next time.

I am comfortable with that limitation, because I believe that it still
allows me to take the readings that I need with enough consistency to
achieve meaningful accuracy as conditions change – such as loading and
unloading boards.

By the way, Jude has made the gauge of varying lengths.  One of the
difficulties of a longer gauge is positioning it to get it in place because
it is rigid.

That’s why I have been sawing off and removing all the beams.  Makes things
a hell of a lot easier.  J

Will