[pianotech] Soundboard Analysis

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jun 22 21:52:16 MDT 2011

On 6/22/2011 7:17 PM, Encore Pianos wrote:

> About a year ago, I bought a Crownulator from Jude Reveley.

It's a fine idea in concept, but presumes a more perfect world than I
work in. As in so many other aspects of this work, the number of decimal
points generated is over appreciated and usually at the expense of a
broader picture. A string, rim to rim, shows me the contour of the
crown, rather than the calculated radius at an arbitrary point. One look
with the string will tell me as much or more than three or four
Crownulator measurements. "Flat" boards are hardly ever dead flat, which
a string shows immediately, as it shows an "S" curve, without multiple
measurements and calculations.

I can then compare these with the string bearing measurements above each
crown "measurement" for a workable picture of how the soundboard is
doing structurally.

Ron N