[pianotech] Customer dilemma

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Jun 17 20:26:29 MDT 2011

Wally

I had that happen to me a year or so ago. I know I got a check, because I put the check number of the receipt. But when I got home, there was no check. I asked the customer to write me another one, presuming it flew away, or something. She said she would stop payment on the check, and she would deduct that from the amount she owed me. I asked if she wouldn't mind waiting a month to see if her check cleared. After a month, I wrote her a very nice letter, and a couple of days later, I received another check fom her, for the full amount.

The big difference here is that she and I communicated. It seems that this lady doesn't want to pay you. I would suggest you write her a nice letter, asking to please send another check, and even offer to deduct the stop payment amount. Be sure she understands that it's your fault for loosing the check. Unfortunately, if she doesn't write you another check, there really isn't much you can do about it. She can show that she paid the bill. What you do with the check after she gives it to you is your responsibly/fault, and she isn't responsible for your "sloppiness".

Wim