[pianotech] Baldwin Split bridge was Acrosonic Bass Bridge

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 11:35:07 MDT 2011

Rob said: "I tuned a 1964 Baldwin Acrosonic this morning. They complained
that about 3-4 notes made a funny noise. Further inspection revealed cracks
and shearing of the bass bridge. The first 10-12 strings are affected.
Everything below that is not affected... yet. :-) Since the pitch was 20
cents low, I tuned it where it stood so as to not put even more pressure on
this bridge until I can find a fix for it. I'll bring it up to pitch once
the fix is in.

The rest of the piano is in pretty good shape. They don't want to spend too
much but they are willing to spend a moderate amount to have it fixed.

So, I've heard of using epoxy, etc. to fix cracks and such, but this seems
to be quite a different beast. What is the best method to fix this?

The rest of the bass bridge below those 12 notes or so seems just fine with
tight pins, etc. It also appears to just affect the cap. Any and all ideas
are appreciated...

Thanks,"

Rob,
That's definately a re-cap situation. Anything less would be iffy. I do
that sort of thing a lot. It seems to  be mostly Baldwins. Go figger!<G> If
you are not up to the task, then, remove the bridge and send it to me or
any of the available bridge recapper dudes.<G> There are some tricks to
getting the bridge/apron/base out, all in one piece and not destroying the
sound board. All bass bridge strings will need to be taken off the bridge,
(not completely off of the piano.<G>) Put them on a piece of electrical
wire w/loop on one end, to keep them in a decent order for re-installing
and to get them out of the way while you are working<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police