[pianotech] Brass plates

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 11:44:38 MDT 2011

All,
I'm in the process of making some Chickering Upright Brass Flange Plates.
As per usual, this sort of thing turns into some kind of convoluted
odyssey.<G>
 I've discovered that the olde replacement plates w/threaded holes and the
olde brass rails w/threadd holes are not the same as the "new" stuff" from
our favorite supply people. The old stuff has a "M3 x 0.5" thread...yup!
Metric! Who'd a figgered that. However, the "new" stuff has a thread of
3-48...U.S. Tap size! Now to add oddities to this whole mess, the olde
Chickering plates have a 3-48 thread! So...Do Not Discard those olde
screws! Also, don't try to make the new screws work in the old
rails/plates!! Grrrr! Don'tcha just love it!???!! So much for my little
corner of the pianer world for a Monday! (figgers there!<G>)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I