[pianotech] CA glue for split fall ?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 11:57:43 MDT 2011

At 11:26 -0700 09/04/2011, Joseph Garrett wrote:

>I would strongly suggest you use the proper substance. <G> I would
>suggest using Clear Epoxy. A way to get epoxy to "wick" like CA, is
>to heat the area and use a heat gun/hairdryer to keep it that way,
>while using an artist's pallette knife to work the epoxy into the
>crack.

Thank you both for the suggestions.  The shellac idea would work if I
could guarantee the fall was never again going to be strained, but I
can't -- people do funny things with falls when the grown-ups aren't
around.  By luck today I discovered the likely cause of the crack
(there's a shorter one at the other end that went right through and
which I have already repaired in a similar way to that suggested by
Joe, except that I used the proper substance, ie. hot hide glue <G>)
but you will see from the picture that there is no simple way to get
any glue right into the crack, especially since I can't bend it open
enough, without splitting it right through to the name side, to work
the glue in, not even with a very thin feeler gauge let alone a
palette knife.  Unfortunately walnut (the substrate is solid walnut)
doesn't tear very straight!

Since the piano is quite rare and valuable I think I'll built a
rubber tunnel over the crack and force the glue in with pneumatic
pressure.