[pianotech] CA glue for split fall ?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 9 13:18:25 MDT 2011

On 4/9/2011 1:23 PM, John Delacour wrote:

> Since the crack is closed, the glue line is not required to pull and
> hold it together against a great force, so what I plan to do is ease the
> crack open slightly with an awl wedged into the end, warm the part and
> work thin animal glue into the crack using heat and very fine feeler
> gauges. I think that'll work fine if I take my time.

Yes, as would most wood glues. Something else occurs to me though. Given
the low stress requirements and difficulty of getting glue into the
joint, I wonder why shellac wouldn't work in this case, and be much
easier to wick in to the crack with longer working time. Thin followed
quickly by a thicker mix should wet the surface and draw the stuff in
well enough, and the bond should be strong enough for this application.
Ron N