[pianotech] Melting on plastic elbows

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Sep 25 10:31:49 MDT 2010

Re: [pianotech] Melting on plastic elbowsDavid, Jon et all,
  Jon sorry for the incorrect attribution . I see your point about the time saving issue as my method for years has been the same as you describe, but as David P. reports the melting is easier on the hands-fingers. The lungs may be another issue.
As to the point Dale made about retiring the spinet piano I do have a line where I say no to service. Yesterday for example with a mid 60's loss leader Hobart m Story and clarkish stencil spinet with a horrid rattling bass and a tenor that sounded like a banjo along with those wacky keys that had the wrap around plastic keytops attached to a thin stick and oh by the way-- petrified grommets.
 As Nancy Reagan said--"just say no!"
 On the other hand the somewhat maligned Betsey Ross still had reasonable tone and is @ pitch , remains quite tuneable and action wise responsive enough for beginning - intermediate play.
 Is it worth refinishing,new hammers ,bass strings ? No way in my opinion but  replacing  elbows , some cleaning , partial regulation and tuning serves the customer and the technician .
Just my take my Bro's.
 Tom D.